5.08.2012

Dear Waylon: 10 Months

My Sweet Waylon,

You are 10 months old today!
How is that even possible?


You are at a really fun stage right now. I feel like you’ve changed more this month than any previous month (do I always say that?). I have absolutely LOVED getting to be a more active part in your growth since I’ve been at home. I get to see the changes for myself on a daily basis. I cannot tell you how full and complete I feel being about to stay at home with you. It is certainly my calling.
Here’s what you’ve been up to lately.
You stick your tongue out ALL of the time.



You constantly click your tongue or “buzz” your lips.
You learned to drink through a straw.
You learned to pull up on your own 4.12.12
First day off of baby food 4.12.12
Had your first kids meal at Chick-fil-A
(nuggets, fruit, & juice box)
You drink primarily out of the sippy cup

You suck your thumb occasionally.
You love the silky part of blankets just like I do.

You hum yourself to sleep. You’ve been doing this for a while now but I just love it.

Sometimes you fall asleep to the singing/glowing seahorse.

You love to hear/see things crash. Cracks you up.
You are easily entertained and great at entertaining yourself.

You are learning your colors. You amaze me with your ability to follow directions and cues.
We played with Play Doh for the first time. You weren’t a fan.
You love Mickey Mouse. Elmo is old news.
You officially have a big boy car seat. You’re still facing backward but it’s roomy so you usually just recline with your feet crossed and your arms behind your head (not kidding) during car rides.
You’ve become a little fish in the bath tub. You seriously rolled onto your tummy and tried to swim. You also tried to pull up on the side of the bath tub. We’ve determined that means you’re ready to get out.


You play with your hair and mommy’s hair.
You acknowledge cues for feelings. I’ve made you cry before pretending I was crying. You’re sensitive – so sweet.
You’re a wiggle worm. Always moving.
You can – and will – slide of the couch if you don’t want to be on it.
You love to stand up. I have become your personal jungle gym.
You dance when music is on, especially if no one is watching.
You know how to give high fives. You don’t always give them on command though.
You are totally over the camera but you know what I mean when I tell you to say “cheese.”

You cut your first two teeth on 4.2.12 but the top two are trying hard to make their debut. About time to start brushing, huh?
You will give kisses but at your discretion. I think this might be a result of a little stubbornness. Not sure where you get that from ;)
You like books and turning the pages. You aren’t real concerned with what the story says.
You’re beginning to make word associations although you can’t say them. In the bath tub, you looked at your rubber duck and said “duh-duh.” Sounded a little like “dada” but I know what you mean.
You had your first “play date” with Eli. You two cracked me up. You had to check each other out but once you saw that the other was okay, you both laughed and played together.

A funny thing you did - you tried to hold Anna Banks’ hand at the ball field. You reached over and gently patted her hand. It was pretty cute. One that subject, I don’t think it’s ever too early to start teaching you how to treat women. It’s important to me that you learn to always be gentle with women and to respect them. You’ve got a great example in your dad. Okay, moving on.

Another funny: a friend, wearing an Auburn logo, tried to get you the pat it and say it was pretty. Instead, you swatted it and pushed him away. This happened several times after several attempts of getting you to "like" Auburn. You showed him your true colors...Crimson & White. Your daddy didn’t see it but he was so proud. I was proud J That’s our boy. Roll Tide!



You had your first encounter with real farm animals. In this picture, you’re watching baby ducks swim in the pool. You didn’t want to touch, but you were mesmerized.

You learned to pick up food with your thumb and pointer finger, affectionately called your pinchers.
I popped your wrist for the first time for not listening. Your lip quivered and you cried. It hurt my feelings and I wanted to cry but we’ve got to establish boundaries little man. No means no.
You’re definitely asserting some independence. And you throw temper tantrums occasionally when you don’t get your way. When you get impatient you do this grunt. This usually happens when you’re waiting for another bite of food.

Table foods you’ve tried: sweet potatoes, corn, black beans, fish, rice, green beans, turnip greens, strawberries, kiwi, plums, cheese, meatloaf, shredded chicken, tilapia, pineapple, banana, tomato, yogurt, avocado, puffs, and goldfish. I may have forgotten a few but you get the idea. You’ve tried a variety and you ate it all so well! Foods you can pick up I can only give you one at a time. Otherwise, you shovel it in until you have a mouth full and choke yourself. We’re working on that J
Favorite foods: strawberries, kiwi, bananas, cheese and sweet potatoes
Favorite toys: school bus, shape rattles, shoes, cups, paper

Not positive on your weight. I’m guessing between 20 & 21 lbs. You are 28 3/4 inches - we measured you so we could record it on your 'growth stick.'
You’re in size 3 diapers. You wear 6-12 month clothes, occasionally a 12-18 months but that’s usually big. And you still have a pair of 3-6 month shorts that fit – and I’m glad because they are too cute to only have worn once or twice. You don’t wear shoes too often. Your foot is little. I think you’re probably wearing a size 2. We’ve been handed down several adorable pairs of shoes (baby Sperry’s!) in size 4 but they are still WAY too big.

You’ve developed quite an attachment to me. I know most kids go through this phase at some point. And I don’t mind most days, but the days you want to be held or wrapped around my leg all day can be frustrating. I try my best to remember that nothing is as important as spending time with you right now. Cleaning can wait. And I usually stop what I’m doing and we play together or go outside and listen to the birdie’s chirp or swing or go for a walk, something to let you know that you’re most important to me and I want to spend time with you. We all need a little of that sometimes. But there is a fine line because I don’t want you to get the idea you can throw a fit and get your way. I talk to you just like I would anyone else. Your mind is young, not incapacitated. I use simple explanations as to why things are the way they are. You know what’s crazy? It works. Nine times out of ten I can calm you down when I talk to you about it, let you know it’s okay to feel like you do but there is a right way & a wrong way to express the feelings. I’m an advocate of “it’s never too early” to start training children to behave appropriately. You can be your bottom dollar they’ll learn the opposite way if you don’t teach them.


The separation anxiety on Wednesday nights at church has worsened. You cry when I leave you. And you usually don’t stop for a while. I teach the older 2 year olds on Wednesdays so I’m just right down the hall and I can hear you. Last week you were so stirred up they had to come get me. This was 45 minutes in. This is not typical Waylon behavior. I still think it has to do with your energy level at the end of a long day. Wednesdays are long for me. I know they’re harder on you. You nap the best on Thursdays than any other day. It still bothers me a little though. I guess I don’t know how to deal with it. I think one issue is you’re bored in the baby room and it’s time for you to move up to a room where there are toys and kids you can interact with and learn from. Maybe a change in scenery will do you good. It’s just a growing pain I suppose but I do hope you grow out of it soon.
DISLIKES:
Loud noises
(vaccum, blender, big trucks)
Changing table
Getting face cleaned
Getting out of the bath tub
Not getting your way


SCHEDULE (on days I’m off):
7-7:30 Wake up & eat breakfast
8:00 Take a 6 ounce bottle
9:30-12:30 Nap time #1
12:30-1 Lunch & 6 ounce bottle
2:30-5:00 Nap time #2
5:00 Snack time
6:00-6:30 Dinner
7:00 Bath time
7:30 Bedtime bottle
8:00 Bedtime
You made this schedule yourself. I like a good schedule because it allows me to plan my days so I actually get something accomplished, but I do not force you to nap at 9:30 on the nose – I’m just not a believer in that. You always show me when you’re tired and it’s usually around the same time every day. I like to leave some flexibility in the schedule so you learn to be flexible. It’s important to learn life happens and you need to know how to go with the flow. To sum up the changes you’re sleeping 11-12 hours a night and taking two 2.5-3 hour naps a day where you were sleeping 8-9 hours a night and napping anywhere from 1-2.5 hours. The extra rest is good for you.
*The schedule is slightly different on days that I work because 1) you have to get up at 6:00 and 2) there are usually evening activities involved (i.e. Daddy’s softball games on Tuesday, church on Wednesday). Thank goodness these activities don’t interrupt your night time sleep routine.

EAT:
Several big changes in this category. You can go much longer in between meals. Typically you eat about 5-6 hours with bottles in between. You usually have an afternoon snack when you wake up from nap to tide you over until dinner. You still enjoy your bottles but you’re less attached. I usually wait 30 minutes to an hour after feeding you to give you your “milk.” You still take about 6 ounces at each feeding but you don’t always finish it. I’m hoping this means our transition to whole milk will be smooth.
You are mainly eating table foods these days. We make it a point to eat dinner together at the table. I think we all eat less and healthier this way. I let you eat bites of what I cook for dinner. You aren’t picky at all. I hope that trait sticks around & you develop good, healthy eating habits. I do still have a few jars of baby food on hand for emergencies or if we’re traveling. I’m not ready to deal with the mess that comes with a child eating in the car. I may have to invest in a mini hand vac. I don’t mind the mess at home because I can immediately clean it up. In the car, different story. I can deal with crumbs. I can’t deal with grimy little handprints on the windows or the upholstery being splattered with already-been-chewed goldfish or sweet potatoes. I’ll just keep some clean-up wipes on hand.
God is so divine in His plan for creation. He allows us to enjoy every phase to the fullest because we don’t know what’s to come. I have loved every stage of your life this far. They’ve all been unique and exciting. It has been pure joy watching you develop into the brilliant, handsome, curious little wiggle worm that you are today. Your dad and I could not be prouder than you are ours.

I am so proud of the little guy you are becoming.

You are such a joy!
Love you so much sweet pea!
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment