4.30.2012

A Very Hungry Caterpillar baby shower

My sister is having a baby boy in June. Excited doesn't begin to describe the emotions I feel about this little one joining our family. I knew I wanted to throw her a shower and since I started working part-time at the beginning of April (more on that in another post - God is so faithful!) I had more time to work out the details and get creative. I had the best time planning this shower and I think it turned out really well.

I used a lot of color because Eric Carle used a lot of color in the book. The decorations were re-purposed items I already had. All of the printables I created and printed. I also created and printed the invitations (one is framed on the guest list table). The favors were an idea I found here. I used m&m's instead of bubble gum and put them in pails that looked like the caterpillar. I ordered the paper straws here. The food was an assortment of what the caterpillar ate in the book: apples, pears, plums, strawberries, oranges, watermelon, lollipops, cupcakes, pickles and cheese cubes. I also made brownie batter dip (a Pinterest find) and pretzels. The dip was a big hit.

The whole she-bang was put together on a budget, and not a very big one :)



















 Abel's name spelled out with Eric Carle alphabet flash cards


Several things I didn't get pictures of (shame on me!) - the most important thing, the guest(s) of honor, Ashley and Abel. You can sort of see Ash five pictures up on the right. She was treated to the king's chair (aka Jake's recliner). I also didn't get a picture of the treats that were prizes for the game. We played 'How Sweet It Is: Baby Edition.' Guests had to match different pregnancy/new mom terms with candy bar names. An example is baby laughs = snickers. I also I neglected to get a picture of Ashley opening any gifts or one of all of the gifts opened. She got a LOT of great gifts though. Take my word for it :) The pictures above of the guests are when they are deep in thought trying to make the matches for the game.




The wooden sign and alphabet art are gifts I made for sister for the nursery. I also sewed her a few burp clothes, got her several of our favorite books (including The Very Hungry Caterpillar), bottles, Boon's grass bottle dryer, and a piggy bank. I could have gotten a lot more but I had to pace myself. I know it'll get worse once A is born. Anyway, the other picture above is outfit, blanket, and socks that Abel will wear home from the hospital. They were gifts from sister's hubby's grandparents. The set includes a white seersucker bubble, the tiniest socks in the world, and a blanket.

A big thanks is due to my Mom for helping me host the shower and to Laura Laird for helping with last minute details. Also, thanks to my hubby for getting our 'grounds' in tip-top shape and to my dad for helping with the cleaning. I couldn't have done it without all of you!

J, W, & I cannot wait to welcome baby Abel into the world in June! Congratulations to sister and brother-in-law! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment