1.23.2009

Financial Peace University

As a graduate of a financial planning program, Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University makes my heart nearly explode from excitement. It's my passion...to teach people how simple it really is to manage money well and leave all of the stress and headaches in days past. I LOVE the thought of counseling people through their financial struggles. The thought...it just does something to me on the inside.

With that said, I need to be reminded of the simple principles again and again, just like anyone else. It's very easy to let them slip out of your mind because money is something that is sort of "out of sight, out of mind" in our country these days. We swipe our cards for EVERYTHING and we have no emotional attachment to the amount of money we spend at the grocery store, at the clothing store, at the fast food restaurant, at the movie theater. I'm just as guilty as the next person to use the "easy" way, not carry cash and have to rely on the plastic. Although I don't have credit cards, I have been known to waste an enormous amount of money because I was not in tune with how much I was spending. I was not controlling my money, but letting it control me. And for me, that is a big deal. I love the IDEA of saving, but it's hard to separate with money that you might need to help pay bills because you blew $75 this week eating out. So using cash is much more confrontational.

So, here we are at week 1 of Financial Peace University. Dave talked about the Baby Steps in our class this past week. I know that personally, the baby steps are exactly what I need. I tend to get overwhelmed looking at the big picture and then can't figure out where I should even start. So right now, our focus is saving up that first $1000 in our emergency fund. Looking closely at our financial situation, Jake and I can easily do this in a month. That's not to say it will happen without sacrifice, because we will have "sacrifice." But I know in the long run, we'll be glad we did.

I have seen too much pain and suffering in the people that I love to want to put myself or my children through the same things. Especially when there is a logical escape. There will be times of temptation. Sometimes we'll give in. But that doesn't mean we should quit. We have to be persistent. Benjamin Franklin once said, "Energy and persistence conquer all things." I believe those elements, combined with much prayer and faith, can and WILL conquer all things. Now is the time. I am so glad that we've made the decision to take this financial journey. I know the rewards will be plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment